"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sharing your diagnosis....to tell, or not to tell

Having a cancer diagnosis, particularly a vaginal cancer diagnosis, brings with it the awkward position of either having to tell people what's going on or trying to keep it to yourself.  In my case, I wasn't inclined to broadcast to friends and family that I had cancer of the vag....so I told only those I had to.  Like my bosses, and my direct reports--both of whom would obviously notice the sudden departures from work for treatments.  The curse of being a workaholic is that everyone comes to expect that you're always at work, so when you're not, it's somewhat conspicuous.  So in total, probably about 5 or 6 people at work knew I had cancer.  I gotta say I think it would have been easier if it had been breast cancer, or lymphoma, even bladder or colon cancer.  Anything but telling your co-workers (all men) that you have vaginal cancer.  Sharing that information was to me a curse worse than death.  So I snuck out when I could, never called in sick, and in general felt like crap and looked like shit for about 8 weeks. Some people asked what was going on; I dodged the questions and said something vague.
I should clarify--even those at work I had to tell--I never specified WHAT kind of cancer it was.  Just that it was a tumor that they could not operate on due to the proximity to the bladder. Which was true actually.  The V word would have made for a much more uncomfortable conversation -- for them and me.
Of course my husband and daughter knew...they live here.  That said, we didn't really talk about it much.  My teenager went from certainty that I was going to die to barely remembering when my chemo days were.

I told my sister, because she's had close and personal experience dealing with cancer and cancer treatments before.  And because I trusted her and valued her opinion.  She in turn told my other siblings, nieces and nephews. 
I was kind of pissed at first (and still am occasionally) but I realize that life is too short to worry about any self-imposed embarassment sharing this information brought with it.

My sister-in-law knew because she was here when my OB-GYN first called with the news about 9:30 one night...instant clue that something's up. She ended up telling my step daughter many months later, who was hurt and offended that neither me or her dad had told her while I was going through it.

I never did tell my parents, even though others thought that not telling them was horrible of me. I just said...you don't know my mother.

I've always been a pretty private person (insert some psycho babble about a dysfunctional upbringing here) not one of those 'let's get everything out in the open and talk about it to everyone who strolls by' types.

I'm only sharing these examples and covering this topic in a post because I'm all about trying to help someone else who may be trying to figure out how to maneuver through this.  So my sagely advice on this topic:  tell everyone that means something to you.  Even if it's embarassing, and even if you're fairly confident that you'll be fine in the end. If you don't, you'll wish you had, and at some point it becomes just too late to share because then they'll be hurt that you didn't tell them earlier. 

I think perhaps the best approach would have been to just put it out there, ask for no pity, and move on.

6 comments:

  1. Dee,
    A very sensitive post. I just republished it as a Guest Post at Being Cancer Network. I included two links to your blog as well as a link to the original post. You should see an increase in traffic. Keep up the great work. Take care, Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dennis; I'm honored to be a guest blogger and I appreciate your support.

      Delete
  2. Dee, found you through Dennis' blog (above). I can relate to this post, I too am a very private person and did not tell many people about my diagnosis. I only told my husband that there was a potential problem the night before I was due to get "the call."

    After that call came, I was then very careful with whom I shared my news. I didn't want people talking about me. For whatever reason, I thought they would be. I was wrong! In the end, I came to the same conclusion you just did... it's best to just put it out there. By not telling people, I closed myself off from receiving their support. And I assumed certain people would hear it through the grapevine; they did not. (Just yesterday I chatted with a former colleague who was shocked to hear I had breast cancer; I assumed a mutual friend had told her. She had not.)

    My worry was misplaced and I could have used the energy expended in a better way.

    I came to realize I can't control what people think or do or say or assume about my cancer any more than I can control my cancer. Best to be honest, state the facts up front and then get on with it — treatment, healing, etc.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Renn. I have found your blog now too and am enjoying your writing. I lost track of how many times I hit "I can totally relate". It's funny how similar the paths of discovery are, regardless of the type of cancer or the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this. I was, and still am, embarrassed by my cancers. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer when I was 21. It was caught very early and I only needed surgery. 15 years later I was diagnosed with vulvar cancer. Again, it was caught early and I lucked out with only needing surgery. I only told my closest family and friends and even then - no details except to my husband and my Mom. My poor Mom's feelings were so hurt - she wouldn't let me stop with just the female cancer thing. When friends tell their cancer stories I am very quiet. If I do discuss it I just say it was female cancer caught early and that I am incredibly lucky. I'm 50 years old now and still dread a recurrence. Thanks for blogging about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. I'm so happy to find other women who have had similar experiences! I'm not sure if there aren't many of us out there, or if those affected by these most intimate "female" cancers just don't want to talk about it. Isn't it strange that it's easier to discuss here(in anonymity)than with those closest to us. Now that I'm in the first year after treatment, the topic has largely vanished from conversations with family...like it never happened, and yet its now that I start blogging about it...

    ReplyDelete