"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Unthinkable

Since most of the readers of this relatively lame cancer blog are strangers to me, you'd have no reason to know that I married someone who is 12 years older than I am.  We also waited for about 10 years to have a baby together, so I was 34 and he 46 when the whirlwind we call the girly arrived.
She continues to be the light of our lives; the glue that has held us together for at least all of her 16 years.  She is bright and funny, beautiful and caring. And for years, I proclaimed the wisdom of waiting until you're old enough to afford and appreciate them before you bring children into the world.  And because my husband was older, and oh--just happened to have a long family history of lung cancer--I always assumed that in the end it would be her and I, alone against the world.

When my cancer moved from a passing concern to an ever present monster in the room, she clung to the thought that it would be her and her dad--somehow managing to live without me doing everything for them (guilty--aren't all moms, at least of my generation?).

She is now living the nightmare of knowing that not just her momma, but both of her parents are  dealing with a terminal cancer diagnosis. 

You see, the prostate cancer was the least of our worries.  The recurrent anemia and overwhelming fatigue was finally nailed down as being related to a mass in his small intestine that, upon removal and biopsy, was determined to be metastatic lung cancer. A matching mass in the lower lobe of the lung and just for kicks, a coordinating spot already living and growing on the hip bone.

So over the past few weeks, this picture has gone from hazy and grainy to brilliantly clear.
Absolutely crystal fucking clear.  If you know anything about cancer, you know that this level of metastasis rules out surgery, rules out radiation.  Do no pass go, do not collect $100.  Go directly to a chemo chair.  A fate I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, let alone on my best friend and the salvation that was to be the keeper of my girly when I throw in the towel. Stage 4 lung cancer is not curable, especially if you don't have one of the two gene mutations that can be quickly arrested with an effective new drug, and especially if the "titch" of cancer has already meandered through your bloodstream and taken up residence in far flung locations.

I can't even find the words to explain the devastation.  It's not the knowledge that he will have a tough, ugly fight that in the end most likely won't end like we want it to, nor is it the knowledge that I will either be right before him or right after him.  We're grown adults; we've had a terrific life.  But the heart wrenching knowledge that we're leaving our beautiful girly behind in this world at such a (potentially) young and tender age is so painful that the moment it enters the brain, you push it back down under the surface quickly lest it make you nuts.

I feel like I've won the lottery.  Some rotten lottery no one really wants to win.  Congratulations--your family is the grand prize winner in the Cancer Lottery!  Deal with it!  Tell all your friends!  Get ready for the looks of pity (BOTH of them!), the rude comments (OMG, what is in the water there?), the condescending opinions (Hmm, former smokers, aren't you?) Tired of all that already, so we hide out.  We tell only those people who absolutely need to know.  We continue to live our lives like we always have, ignoring the monster when we can.  For now we can get by with it.  But we know that so many choices, so many decisions, so many actions we really don't want to take, are looming.  Will need to be dealt with.  Sooner or later.

8 comments:

  1. dear Dee,

    I am so very sorry. words cannot adequately express the anguish I feel for you, for your husband, and for your daughter. to have to tell your only child that both her parents have incurable cancer is unspeakable. I know there is nothing I can say to ease your pain and the reels of scenarios of grief and sorrow and profound rage that spin in your head. all I can do is let you know I am here for you; I send my best thoughts and wishes for moments of respite from this fuckingly awful nightmare, and am sending oceans of warm and gentle hugs (for all that's worth).
    you know I lived (am still) what you are living, albeit with some differences, most about our ages and having more than one child (which is a BIG difference). so if you ever want to contact me, let me know and I will arrange a trusted facilitator to help connect us.

    much love,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, always so nice to hear from you. Hugs to you; thanks for being there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Dee, you are always so gracious in responding to my comments - even when I have so little to offer you. had a lousy, sad, bad day and was wishing I could JUST HAVE A HUG. now I have felt those hugs you've sent and feel much better. thank you, thank you! and many hugs right back to you, my Friend.

    much love,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, I am just now reading this post and my heart aches for you and your family and the devastating, horrific cards you have both been dealt. I just don't understand life, I really don't. I am glad to see Karen has already commented here; she has experience with the path you are on, and is a steady and wonderful arm to lean on. xoxo Sending you [[[hugs]]]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Renn. I too struggle to understand life...why decent, hardworking people are tasked with some tough hits while the dirt bags in life seem to coast by without a care. I'm sure you can relate. It's hard to rise above and not be bitter, but you have to or it will make you just that--bitter.
    ~D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear Dee,

    I have been thinking of you quite a bit, but sometimes feel that reaching out to you will create a burden if you are not able to respond. and with all I know you must be going through, that is the last thing I would want to do. so please know this is just a little love note I am sending to let you know I continue to hold you close to my heart, to hold you and your husband and your daughter high up into the light of hope, and that I am here, caring deeply and sending you many gentle, warm hugs...with much love...karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice of you to check in Karen! Thanks for thinking of me and for the warm vibes. I'm doing well...I got accepted into a clinical trial; an immunotherapy protocol so I've been away going through that, and recovering. I haven't had the time or the stomach for sharing it yet. It was a tough experience, and yet brought back HOPE and we know how important that is :) Hope to write more about it soon. And don't worry-your contacts are never a burden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear Dee,

    thanks so much for letting me know about your getting into the immunotherapy clinical trial. and I am so happy that even though it was rough, it has brought you HOPE. rest, and take good care of yourself - I've still got you in the sight of that light...

    much love,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete