"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Things I know now that I wish I'd known then

  • Get PAP smears every year.  Do it regardless of how much you hate it, how busy you are, how unimportant it becomes or how unnecessary it seems. Do it even if you've had a hysterectomy. IMHO, the new recommendation to only have one every three years is fueled by the health insurance companies, and they may not have your best interest in mind (gasp). 
  • Find out from whatever doc does your PAP smears if you have HPV.  Not sure if I did, but if it was present it would have been nice to know.
  • Your health is sacred. If you still have it, appreciate it. 
  • Menopause sucks. Early menopause sucks more.  Radiation induced menopause sucks most.
  • If only I had known what was in store for me, I would have eaten better, walked more, maybe even worked out occasionally.  Shame on me for not doing more menopause related research until I was living it (they did warn me), and shame on my myriad of doctors for not having time to deal with it.
  • Depression and irritability are some of the most common side effects of menopause, but hot flashes get all the press.
  • Your health is sacred. If you still have it, appreciate it. Did I say that already?

1 comment:

  1. Dee, this list is AWESOME. Thanks for writing it! I will be sharing share your blog with my BC sistahs!
    -Renn

    ReplyDelete