"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

To hormone or not to hormone?

That is the question.  I have been resisting any kind of hormone replacement therapy. Doctors are reluctant to recommend one route or another. Tales of the increased risk of breast cancer abound. I've had that scare in (what seems long enough ago to be) a previous life. Multiple lumpectomies and finally, a diagnosis of grandulamatous lobular mastitis. Not at all fun at the time, but after this most recent adventure, a walk in the park. But I digress.
After almost exactly a year of dealing with the motherlode of hot flashes, I've thrown in the towel (no pun intended) and jumped on the estrogen replacement bus.
What pushed me over the edge was snapping....literally, a couple of different times, and at work no less. So I decided that since I really like my job (and having the ability to pay my mortgage) I needed to do something to address the irritability and the sense of overwhelming frustration.  I could have found a shrink, or tried anti depressants (actually recommended by a doc along the way) but am fundamentally opposed to both.  Instead I opted for estrogen.  What a concept.  Turns out the body wants and needs it, even after the ability to produce it is stripped away without consult.
I'm only 4 weeks in, but can tell the difference already.  I sleep better, have more energy, and have a somewhat diminished desire to rip the head off of overbearing and/or incompetent people I work with.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment