"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Recurrence

Sorry to drag out the end of that adventure....just realized it's been awhile since I posted the initial uncertainty.  The liver biopsy procedure has come and gone, and not surprisingly it was positive for cancer in the liver.  I got to see the spot on the ultrasound; it looked pretty little and harmless.
The appointment with the oncologist has been changed a couple of times now...she's on vacation for the holidays don't ya know. 
So I plod along in blissful ignorance of what is coming at me; the only shreds of information I got via a poorly connected international phone call from her nurse when I was traveling for work.
Here's what I gleaned:
  • they don't usually radiate the liver
  • surgery is not an option, but the "why" would need to be addressed by the doc
  • radiation to the pelvis is questionnable, since I've already had so much in that area.
  • more chemo is probably in my future
Everything I read about vaginal cancer that has metastisized to the liver is pretty grim.  It's somewhat surreal; I feel fine.  How can I be in the shrinking percentages as far as survival goes?  How can this be happening to me? 
I still haven't stopped and taken the time to seriously contemplate my mortality.
Still working towards a huge deadline/project/goal at work, wondering how I'd going to fit chemo into my 12 hour days.
Still working on raising that teenager; wondering how she will grow up to be a successful and happy adult without me around to guide her...
Geez, this cancer stuff sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment