"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sweet Dreams

So it seems I have this love/hate relationship with my bed lately.  I'm often dead tired by the end of the day, and sleep seems like a blessed escape, but the minute I crawl into bed and get ready to sleep some switch flips in my brain and I'm mentally wide awake.  There are few things in life more frustrating than not being able to get to sleep even when you're tired.  Laying there watching the minutes tick by on the alarm clock, all I can think about is how tired I'm going to be the next day if I don't get some damn sleep soon. And of course, there are lots of thoughts that creep to the surface in the wee hours that I normally thump down in the light of day. So I've started dreading going to bed.

The preceding sentences have been nothing short of a justification for abusing my new nighttime drug combo of choice:  Advil PM and Lorazepam. 
I admit that because I think it's contributing to the wealth of dreams that finally come when I now fall asleep--deep and drugged.  They are always pleasant dreams.  Maybe this is a blessing sent to cancer patients everywhere....your life is chaos, you feel like crap, but your nights will be full of laughter and flouncing around on rolling green hills in the sunshine.
My daughter is there--smiling and laughing and looking like she is about seven or eight again.  No teenage moodiness, no arguments.  My husband is there--helpful and happy and looking like we're on the best vacation ever.  My job is there, but there is meaning and purpose to having a career again.

Life is good in my dreams.  I feel light and carefree; cancer doesn't cloud the horizon at all.  When I wake up, that feeling stays for just a fleeting minute before being replaced by my reality.

2 comments:

  1. Dee, glad you found something to help you sleep. It's bad enough to be going through a cancer diagnoses, then to not have good sleep can really mess you up both mentally and physically. I hope everything is going well with you. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    Babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hanging with me and for your comments Babe; it's good to know someone is still reading! Happy Thanksgiving to you too--hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete