"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're gifts given to help you discover who you are."

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Change in attitude

Since my last post was a real downer, I wanted to share some more upbeat thoughts on this lovely summer day.
Shortly after I whined about feeling alone, my extended family (my wonderful sisters, beautiful nieces, favorite nephew and family, my mom and dad, etc) surprised me by showing up at my door on a holiday weekend--snacks, beverages and lunch in hand. I was so happy to see them all, I quickly forgave them for the lack of warning (they knew I would cook and clean had I known they were coming). Many of them drove 4+ hours one way and back that day; what a gift.

I've made a conscious decision to stop comparing my story to other cancer stories on the distorted world of the internet.  Duh.  What was I thinking?

Many other good things going on around me as well:
  • My little great nephew (son of #1 nephew above) came out of chemo for medulloblastoma with a clear scan, after an initial terrifying read.  So happy for them! What a horrible road for a young family.
  • My teenager is now legal to drive, and has hit the road. Scary, but less hauling her around for me.  And I'm so grateful for every milestone I get to participate in.  
  • The hubby may finally be able to walk again soon, finally! after a long period of healing a broken leg. Looking forward to having him mobile again :)
  • My latest scan came back with reduced SUV numbers/activity levels with no spread to other areas.  So even thought I felt like crap and was sure the cancer was all over in my back and stomach, turns out I'm not dying anytime soon.
    • Bad news is that current chemo routine continues.  Suck.
  • Summer has finally come to the midwest.  The skies are a beautiful shade of blue with a brilliant white fluffy contrast.  It's warm and wonderful after a ridiculously ugly winter. I'm grilling pork chops and eating watermelon and root beer floats. Life is good!
Cheers,
~D.

2 comments:

  1. dear Dee,

    I was so happy when I read your post, I broke out bawling like a baby! - with relief and such joy to hear so much good news. I cannot even express how happy I am for you, hearing the lilt of gratitude and relief and renewal of your spirit in your cyber voice. today was not a good one for me - sad and missing my Beloved, dreary and rainy - sucked into the vortex of a pukey pity party. but reading this wiped it all away as I do a happy dance in my head for you. thank you for this most uplifting update.

    much love and a big HOORAY!!!,

    Karen XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, you're so kind--thanks for sticking with me and reading my random posts. Glad this one brightened your day; hope you've had sunny ones since.
    ~D.

    ReplyDelete